Thursday, September 04, 2008

Jonah and Pokemon

If any of you read my wife's blog you're no doubt up to date on all the latest antics of our boys. Jonah is loving going to school two days a week, and Nathan is having all sorts of adventures in learning the English language, and getting into everything, and tormenting his brother, and, well... being Nathan.

Jonah has taken up another interest as of late: Pokemon. His grasp of numbers and basic strategy is finally strong enough that I decided to have a go at teaching him the basics of this card game. And he picked it up fast! Much faster than I expected, to be sure. It was rough going at first. During the first two hands he was quite sure I was insane, and that this wouldn't be any fun at all. But then he started getting it. And then he started getting competitive. And then even devious...

I was pleasantly surprised to see his grasp of numbers was beyond even what I had thought it was. He easily and quickly identified all of the numbers between 10 and 90. However, when he drew Arcanine and put him into his hand (we play open handed right now) his eyes grew wide for a moment, then he asked me, "What's that number?" "That number?" I asked. "Oh, that's 100." This blew his mind, for two reasons. First, he immediately recognized that having a third number made it very big, and to him (as Sunny and I recently discovered) 100 embodies everything huge and vast ("There must be a hundred of them! Or maybe a hundred and thirty!"). Second, that meant Arcanine was huge, and "really hard" (as Jonah puts it), so he was now well situated to waste me.

Then the unthinkable happened. He had already played out his Growlithes. Now, as he was well aware, but some of my readers may not be, you cannot use Arcanine without Growlithe. All three of his had already been discarded. This is when I learned something else about my son. He really doesn't like to lose. I saw some faces during the next ten or fifteen minutes that I had never seen before (and I've seen quite a large range of his vast set of facial expressions).

Anyway, this didn't turn him off to the game. He still likes to play every couple days or so. This evening when I got home from work he had somehow found a large assortment of those erasers you can fit to the end of a pencil in various colors, about six colors, and must have been around forty erasers, and he had them all arranged on the coffee table. He explained to me that they were his deck, and started going through the list of what color was what type of thing, so on and so forth. I think we'll have to see about getting him some actual pokemon toys for his birthday this year...

12 comments:

Sunny said...

I love our boy. :) Even if I don't quite understand Pokemon or have the desire to play.

Danielle said...

Haha! Jonah is too funny! I remember playing Pokemon with you that one time. Maybe the 3 of us will have to play when I get out there next week. Sounds like Jonah is so smart! And also very like his mommy who also doesn't like to lose. ;)

raymond said...

Glad you said it, I wasn't about to ;)

Sunny said...

Hey now!

April said...

This post was entertaining. I love the expressions he makes and can only wonder what was going on as he realized he was losing. :)

Cheri said...

Wow, I have no idea what you were talking about, but thanks for the ideas for his birthday gift. I do at least know how to find Pokemon in the toy store....thus ending my knowledge on the topic! :-)

Mommy Diffee said...

Wow maybe you should have started him off with something easy like Uno! I don't even get Pokemon! Jonah is super smart! When I saw him at moms this morning he was telling me everything I needed to say to Peyton before I left =) Jonah said "tell Peyton goodbye" so I did, the he said "tell him that you will see him later" so I did, then he told me I could leave =) Nathan was copying everything Janah was saying also ... too cute =)

Talia said...

hi Raymond :) welcome to blog-land!!

I am very impressed with Jonah... there is no way I could retain all that sort of information...

how fun that you have a son who already shares in your interests!

Jerusha Abigail said...

i tagged you! go check out my blog to see the rules

LukeJJones said...

You still have your pokemon cards? Do you still have your pogs too?

LukeJJones said...

P.S. You have been tagged!
http://lukejjones.spaces.live.com

Jeremy said...

What's funny is to see grownups who are obsessed with Pokemon. I knew a lady who was close to 40 who was all into Pokemon and Hello Kitty. Kinda scary, actually.